Artistic Major(s): Composition and Music Theory
- Studies at the University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna: concert subject guitar and instrumental and vocal pedagogy (Mag. Art. with unanimous distinction)
- University of Vienna: Musicology, Psychology
- Conservatory of the City of Vienna: Jazz Theory
- Berklee College of Music: jazz guitar, jazz theory, arrangement, film music
- University of Southern California: Studies with Joe Diorio
- Since March 2019 Dean of the Faculty of Music Education - JAM MUSIC LAB Private University, Vienna
- Since Sept. 2017: Head of the Master's program (Faculty of Music Pedagogy) and teaching (composition, composition pedagogy, didactics) at the JAM MUSIC LAB UNIVERSITY
- 2016: Lectureship at the University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna: "Didactics of Composition
- Since 2015: Teaching position at the Danube University Krems for composition, jazz theory
- 2013-2016: Contract employee at the Pedagogical University of Lower Austria: music education, guitar, ensemble
- 2010: Initiator of the first composition pedagogy course in Europe with state-approved teaching qualification (VMI - Vienna Music Institute)
- Since 2006: Contract employee at BISOP - Bundesinstitut für Sozialpädagogik in Baden music education, piano, guitar, ensemble/band
- Since 1996: working as a teacher, composer, guitarist, producer, editor and author of music pedagogical and music theory publications.
- Numerous national and international guest lectures and workshops at universities, colleges and conservatories: Chicago, Los Angeles, Berlin, Bremen, Essen, Osnabrück, Lockenhaus, Salzburg, Vienna, etc.
- 1995: Teaching position at the USC - University of Southern California in Los Angeles at the Studio/Jazz Guitar Department
Artistic Activities & Publications
- Founder and artistic director of the MAX BRAND Ensemble; Commissioned compositions for various ensembles and orchestras; Initiator of the "New Music Days
- Editor and author of music education and music theory publications, published by Universal Edition, Advance Music, SCHOTT Music, IAJE Publications Manhatten, Musikerziehung Österreich, ConBrio etc.
- Citation in over 100 scientific papers
- Weikersheimer Gespräche zur Kompositionspädagogik / edited for Jeunesses Musicales Germany by Matthias Schlothfeldt and Philipp Vandré. Composing in the music school - conversation with Richard Graf. Regensburg, ConBrio, 2018
- "Pedagogical Aspects of Teaching and Learning Jazz Improvisation". Richard Graf, IAJE Publications, Manhatten, USA, 1997
- "The Chord Scale Theory and Jazz Harmonics". Richard Graf, Barrie Nettles. Advance Music, SCHOTT MUSIC, 1997/2015
- Textbooks for Universal Edition: "World Music - Cuba", "World Music - Ireland", "Guitar for 2", "beat it - Guitar Percussion
- Producer of several CD recordings, owner of the label "Rich Art Records".
- Co-Producer for Michael Mantler "Comment c'est" released by ECM-Records: Michael Mantler, Himiko Paganotti & MAX BRAND Ensemble
Prizes, Grants & Awards
- 1993: Award of the Federal Ministry of Science and Research for special artistic achievements, scholarship of the University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna, working scholarship of the Federal Ministry of Science and Research
- 1994: Grants from the University of Southern California/Los Angeles and the University of South Florida/Miami
- 1995: Prizewinner at the Jazz Competition in Fullerton/USA with invitation to the Montreux Jazz Festival
- 1998: Theodor Körner Prize for Science and Art (Section: Composition)
- 1999: Promotion Prize of the Province of Lower Austria for Music
- 2000: Winner of the Jeunesse competition "Find It - Innovative ideas for music education" with the project "netcomposing - new media and young music".
- 2002: Winner of the Konrad Bayer Competition with the composition: "Tenjo"
- 2004: Vienna Symphony Orchestra Composition Scholarship (City of Vienna)
- 2006: Culture Prize of the Province of Lower Austria for Music (Composition)
- 2008: EUREGIO Innovation Award 2008 (Division: People and Culture)
- 2008: InLOT Award (In the Lab of Tomorrow) of the bmukk for the project "net-music
- 2009: Award "Projekt Europa" for DVD "Textile Music" (production, music. overall direction)
- 2011: Maecanas Recognition Award (in cooperation with Berndorf AG) for the music project HEAVY JAZZ with the Youth Jazz Orchestra of Lower Austria
- 2012: Nomination for the Lower Austrian Milestone 2012
- 2013: Composition scholarship of the Federal Chancellery
- 2013: Artist in Residence - "musik aktuell" in Lower Austria
For more information please visit richardgraf.com.