Knowledge Proof German
Proof of German language skills
For a regular study program with German as the language of instruction you need sufficient knowledge of German and provide proof of this knowledge.
As part of the application process you need to present one of the following documents:
- Reifezeugnis (school leaving certificate) from a German-speaking country or an Austrian or German school abroad.
- German as an examination subject of the foreign school leaving examination
- Completion of the 8th grade of upper secondary school at a German-speaking school
- Completion of compulsory schooling up to 9th grade at a German-speaking school
- Completion of at least three years of studies at a German-language university
- at least three years of completed studies in the German language at a state-recognized university abroad
- Completion of the pre-study course of the Viennese universities in German as a foreign language with a degree in the required language level.
We also accept the following certificates:
- Austrian German Language Diploma (ÖSD)
- Examination or language diplomas of the Goethe Institute
- Language Center of the University of Vienna
- "TestDaF" (Test of German as a Foreign Language)
- Vienna International University Courses
- Austrian Integration Fund (ÖIF)
The certificate must not be older than 2 years. Please note that for some study programs it is possible to provide the German language proof at a later date – see here when exactly you need to provide the certificate.
Please contact our International Office (Ms. Claudia Randles, firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions about German requirements, certificates and German courses