Univ.-Prof. for Drums (Faculty of Music)
Artistic Major(s): Drums
Artistic or pedagogical education
- Concert subject Jazz Percussion, Music and Art Private University of the City of Vienna, Graduation 1997
- Instrumental Pedagogy Jazz Percussion, Music and Art Private University of the City of Vienna, Degree 1998
- Manhattan School of Music New York, 2000-2001 (no degree)
- Master course "Mindfulness in Education, Counseling and Health Care" at the Kirchlich Pädagogische Hochschule Wien/Krems (master project currently running at JamMusicLab University)
- Lessons with: Jeff Hamilton, Peter Erskine, Glen Velez, Lori Cottler, Jatinder Thakur, Jarrod Cagwin, Yshai Afterman, Bernhard Schimpelsberger, Drissa Kone.
Teaching & Research
- Teacher at the JAM MUSIC LAB Private University for Jazz and Popular Music & at the Friedrich Gulda School of Music since 2017, liaison teacher and ombudsman (ongoing since 2016).
- Vienna Conservatory (2001-2016), jazz drums, general didactics, jazz didactics, teaching practice
- Musikschule Oberes Wiental (2000-2008), drums, percussion ensemble
- Franz Schubert Conservatory (1997-2001), Drums, Percussion Ensemble
- Austrian Percussion Camp, Handpan, (2019-2022).
- Worldwide workshop activities in the field of percussion, various relaxation techniques as well as meditation and mindfulness
- Jam Music Lab University, Research Lab "12-week mindfulness program for musicians" as part of the master's program "Mindfulness in Education, Counseling and Health Care" at the Kirchlich Pädagogische Hochschule Wien/Krems (currently running)
- Assi - Salah Ammo & Peter Gabis - Be Now Records, 2014
- Rhythms of Silence - Peter Gabis - Be Now Records, 2011
- Mike Scharf & Urban Dreamtime - one songbook - urban dreamtime records, 2011
- Freedom Street Parade - Rens Newland - Jive Music, 2006
- Bastardista - Celia Mara - Globalista, 2005
- Tradition - Carole Alston - Hörnix - 2004
- Gucky’s Bounce - Herbert Swoboda Quintett - mopromusic - 2003
- Fastbreak - De Wieners - Jive Music - 2003
- VNMG (Vinson, Newcomb, Morgan, Gabis) - Down Homeless - PG Records - 2003
- VNMG (Vinson, Newcomb, Morgan, Gabis) - Short Stories - bag end music - 2000
Further work experience
- Since 2008 intensive collaboration with Salah Ammo, various cooperations e.g. with Vienna Symphony Orchestra, Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra, etc. Performances at the Vienna Konzerthaus, Musikverein Vienna, Brucknerhaus Linz, various festivals (Jazzfestival Salfelden, Rudolstadt Festival, Jazz & the City Salzburg, Grazjazz, Musikfest Waidhofen, Bregenz Festival, etc...)
- Studio Percussion Graz - Project XXX_Universe (since 2022)
- Shlomit Butbul (since 2019)
- PAN-INDIA Project - (since 2016)
- Solo project "Rhythms of Silence" (since 2010)
- VNMG (Vinson, Newcomb, Morgan, Gabis) - (2000-2004) tours of Europe and Australia, Baltic Sea Jazz Festival, Townsville Jazz Festival (AUS), Brisbane Jazz Festival (AUS).
- Performances with: Garry Dial, Will Vinson, Thomas Morgan, Steve Newcomb, Salah Ammo, Basel Rajoub, Orwa Saleh, Sumitra, Celia Mara, GUEM, Hosoo & Transmongolia, Andy Lee Lang, Lynne Kieran, Elly Wright, Allen Vaché, Randy Sandke, Peanuts Hucko, Jim Galloway, Big Jay McNeely, Vienna Big Band Machine, Vienna Clarinet Connection, Heinz von Hermann, Hans Salomon, Martin Spitzer, Herbert Swoboda, Haider & Pintoo Khan, etc....
- Theater and musical productions with Alfons Haider, Andreas Steppan, Andy Lee Lang, Otto Schenk, Ossi Kollmann, Guillermo Horta (Odeon Theater).
Prices, awards, miscellaneous
- Scholarship of the State of Upper Austria 1999