1. International Artistic Jazz Research Symposium: Announcement and Call for Contributions
Announcement and Call for Contributions: 1. International Artistic Jazz Research Symposium
In partnership with
Institute for Jazz Research, University of Music and Performing Arts Graz
Jam Music Lab Private University for Jazz and Popular Music Vienna
Date: 6 October, 2019
Venue: Jam Music Lab Private University Vienna, Guglgasse 8, Gasometer B, 1110 Vienna
Submission Deadline: 19 August 2019
Artistic research is an emerging branch of research in the arts, which operates in and through artistic practices. Jazz researchers have emphasized the need for an independent, international network to develop the field. This symposium will formally inaugurate the network, provide opportunities for discussions and invites presentations on a variety of relevant themes and topics including (but not restricted to) the following:
- specifics of artistic jazz research
- methodical considerations
- presentation/publication formats
- best practice models
- quality assurance and assessment criteria
- relationship of artistic jazz research to the ‘scientific’ research communities
- further development of the network
The symposium aims for a broad discussion organized in several themed panels and a small selection of individual papers and artistic research presentations. The panels involve one or more opening statements (5-10 minutes), followed by longer discussions including questions and comments from the audience. Individual paper presentations should be no longer than 20 minutes followed by 10 minutes of discussion. However, we also welcome proposals for alternative presentation formats in artistic research as well as suggestions of additional themes and topics. Experienced academics as well as emerging artist-researchers are encouraged to contribute.
Proposals for contributions should include: title, name, institutional affiliation, country, type of contribution (panel, paper, alternative format), abstract (up to 150 words) and a short CV (up to 100 words).
Please submit your proposal via e-mail to the convenor (firstname.lastname@example.org) until 19 August, 2019. Acceptance of abstracts will be sent to authors soon thereafter. The full program will be made available via www.jammusiclab.com.
There is no participation fee. We kindly ask for registration by contacting the convenor.
- Andrew Bain (Royal Birmingham Conservatoire)
- Mike Fletcher (Royal Birmingham Conservatoire)
- Petter Frost Fadnes (University of Stavanger)
- Monika Herzig (Indiana University)
- Jasna Joviċeviċ (Singidunum University Belgrade)
- Michael Kahr (University of Music and Performing Arts in Graz)
- Emiliano Sampaio (University of Music and Performing Arts in Graz)
- Chris Stover (Arizona State University)
- Wolf-Georg Zaddach (University of Music Franz Liszt, Weimar)
- Per Zanussi (University of Stavanger)