"Ö1 Talentebörse" awards a Jazz Scholarship for 2022 - apply now!
For the 5th time, Ö1 is awarding the Ö1 Jazz Scholarship – in the form of a study place for a Bachelor or Master of Arts in Music or "Master of Arts in Music" program at the JAM MUSIC LAB Private University for Jazz and Popular Music, Vienna.
Austria is a hotspot of European jazz. Joe Zawinul, Hans Koller, the Vienna Art Orchestra and others have brought jazz from Austria to the world. Today the domestic jazz scene is more lively and diverse than ever. Coming generations of music-making artists are developing jazz in different ways: music that began as dance music and is currently changing into a stylistically open world music, in which the roots in blues, swing and improvisation are creatively combined with the genres and forms of expression of the present.
Ö1 would like to support this young and promising generation of Austrian jazz musicians in their quest for more visibility and audibility. This scholarship is intended to give one of their representatives an important impulse for a perhaps even international career.
The Ö1 Jazzstipendium supports an outstanding young artist in contemporary jazz and offers a full scholarship at the JAM MUSIC LAB Private University for a Bachelor of Arts in Music (Jazz) over 8 Semesters (240 ECTS points) or Master of Arts in Music (Jazz) study over 4 semesters (120 ECTS points).
As the first winner, the scholarship certificate was presented to the Carinthian saxophonist Robert Unterköfler on April 30, 2018 - the Ö1 Jazz Day. Since then he has made a name for himself with the release of the quintet CD "Rote Welt" and as a member of Christian Muthspiel's Orjazztra Vienna. In 2019 the Upper Austrian drummer Lukas Aichinger was successful, who has meanwhile also released his debut CD ("Thinker Try To Dance") with the sextet AHL6. In 2020 it was the violinist Constanze Friedel, who comes from Ilmenau in the German state of Thuringia and has been living in Vienna since 2014, who convinced the jury consisting of guitarist Wolfgang Muthspiel, US producer Jeff Levenson and Ö1 jazz editor Andreas Felber. As the second woman the 2021 winner is Sax player and singer Madeleine Kaindl who just released her debut project "Madeleine & the Hildeguards- Knef re:loaded".
- The scholarship will be awarded to an Austrian citizen or non-Austrians residing in Austria.
- Admitted are instrumentalists and vocalists with a maximum age of 28 years (at the time of submission), who have the formal requirements to begin studies.
- The scholarship holder possesses a spirit of innovation and originality in his or her demanding musical language. As an interpreter, he/she shows openness and the ability for outstanding musical communication and interaction. His or her music expresses the exciting interrelations between the style-defining tradition and the composed and improvised forms of contemporary jazz.
- The scholarship holder is available for 2 performances at Ö1 events (by arrangement with Ö1) schedule
- Application deadline: March 31, 2022.
- Final round (live performance of the best applicants): date to be announced
- Preselection for the audition including invitation of the participants: April 2022
- The scholarship certificate will be presented to the winner on April 30, 2022, during the Ö1 Jazz Day
- Due to the corona pandemic, even short-term changes in procedures and schedules cannot be ruled out.
Submission procedure, audition
Interested parties should apply by March 31, 2022 by e-mail to
email@example.com with the following documents:
- Description or documentation of previous musical experiences and projects and of previous musical education. A curriculum vitae and a photo of the artist (min. 300 dpi)
- an uncut video with 2-3 meaningful musical performances of the applicant (preferably recording of a live performance; no professional image quality required, cell phone recording sufficient)
The jury will select 10 finalists from the submissions and invite them to the audition in April (exact date will be determined after consultation with all jury members).
More information at: